Monday, January 12, 2009

Listen Locally




The culinary scene in Cambridge has evolved so fully that it is really difficult to find a bad meal. It is as though chefs and restauranteurs have made an unwritten pact to utilize as much of the bountiful New England harvest as they can get their hands on, keeping both the local economy at ease and the patrons feeling as though they are aiding in this effort by consuming their neighbors' wares. It may be questioned if ingredients and their denominations really make that much of a difference, but once you've sampled a perfect summer tomato from Lil' Compton or Grateful Farms, you'll ask no more questions.
As far as sensory experiences go, however, taste is not the only sense that makes a culinary experience. I believe that the appropriate background noise does so much for a meal. Sometimes the mere din of the dining room can be enough if there are some great laughers, poignant stories being told, or the simple scraping of that last bite from the bottom of the bowl. Music, however, does so much to convert my time in any space. To that end, I wanted to feature three local musicians that have made their way onto my iPod, and on occasion into our restaurant. Supporting local artists is something in which we at UpStairs have always shown interest.

1. Eli "Paperboy" Reed and the True Loves
www.elipaperboyreed.com
Albums - "Walkin' and Talkin'" and "Roll With You"

I don't actually know Eli, but I first heard him on WERS, Emerson College's student radio station. Born and breed in Brookline, MA, Eli apparently got his start musically as so many others did by playing the streets of Harvard Square. His voice has been compared to Sam Cooke and Otis Redding, and his band the True Loves are particularly adept at showcasing his powerful voice. But what I love most about this band is the passion and playful nature present in each song. It's refreshing to know that R&B can be produced in such a raw fashion from an area that might be more readily recognized for its Klezmer music. Consequently, I think that is why his sound fits our design so well: food and music are not dissimilar. The same scales will always exist as will the same onions ... it's how we choose to prepare them that warrants how smart an artist truly is. Eli Reed is a smart guy.

2. Miss Tess and the BonTon Parade
www.misstessmusic.com
Albums - "Modern Vintage," "When Tomorrow Comes," and "Home"


This is my girl! My life is infinitely improved after having met this group. They have graced my dining room, befriended my staff, and intriqued an entire community with their ingenious approach to jazz standards and their destandardization. Tess' music is readily recognized by my whole staff and immediately sparks little sing-a-long sessions and smiles abound when she's played. If there's one thing that music can do more than most mediums is evoke something in you. I have been very fortunate to be surrounded by creative people at UpStairs who get excited at the prospect of a new flavor profile or preparation. But nothing makes me happier than when I see that passion on the faces of both my staff and my guests in the form of a smile. I live on a steady diet of smiles, and "Pokey McMumbles" will never cease to keep me satiated.

3. Rachael Price
www.rachaelprice.net
Albums - "The Good Hours," "Dedicated to You," "Refreshingly Cool - with the Tennessee Terraplanes"

Tess and Rachael used to be roommates. When I went to see Tess play on her birthday at the CanTab in Central Square this year (and bring her the bottle of whiskey I had gotten her from the restaurant), I asked what she was doing after the show. She turned to me and said, "You've got to come see this girl. Her voice is way better than mine!" She set a high bar, but Rachael did not disappoint. It's been a long time (if ever) since I felt an uncontrollable urge to grab a complete stranger from a bar I've never been to and ask them to dance with me, but it happened at Rachael's show at Atwoods. Her versions of "Tupelo Honey" and "Comes Love" scared me. Not that I'm much older, but I couldn't believe the intelligence in her voice as she tackled such powerful songs. The girl knows what she's doing. And as it often is with young chefs, when you aim high you often exceed expections, even your own. Rachael exceeded all of my expectations, and continues to whenever I have the opportunity to see her perform.

That's my locally-grown playlist currently. It's always expanding, as is our menu. I'm always on the look-out to add more to my repetoire, both culinarily and musically.