Friday, August 31, 2007

Fruit Pies

Today I had to bake a pie. I had to. I had no choice. The first thing I ever cooked for a group of others was a pie. I fed it to the staff. Thinking back I haven't heard any comments.
My grandfather loved pie, no cake, no cookies, pie. "Don't screw around now Emily, I want pie for my birthday and you know it" My mother bakes a pretty okay pie ( in all actuality I think her pie is the best, but I cannot admit this). Grandpa really enjoyed the fact that my mother liked to bake, and bring it over to his house for him, and my uncles ( grandma does not bake. Or cook anymore at all for that matter, she eats a lot of raw food, sort of like a raw-ist, but not really at all) He figured out the perfect way to make her bring more, get her to compete, with me ( she is one of the most competitive people you will ever meet, almost as competitive as yours truly!) So of course we had bake offs, never at the same time. On all occasions we were told that there was inconclusive evidence and we must try again. Grandpa was a sneak, but he sure got to eat a lot of pie.
Just a side bar, there was always an extra for my daddy, and sometimes the occasional for an uncle or two. :)