Friday, August 31, 2007

Working Sleepy

In every restaurant you see a lot of tired eyes, heavy feet, and the occasional bed head. Every person has a reason why they subject their bodies to daily abuse, and in our case stairs. The average person wouldn't work over fifty hours in a week and would probably have something to say if they were expected to move tables after midnight on a Wednesday. I am not saying this to be a martyr I am saying this because I love my job, and I know many others, some sitting in this office with me that feel the same.
We cook and serve others because it's special to take care, of friends, of family, of strangers. There is a reward to making others feel good, satisfied and fulfilled. It is a sentiment found in all people in the hospitality industry. We are trusted with a persons evening, their memories, and most of all their bodies. Food should be magical, something you touch, you smell, not something that gets the job done. Of course we all spend nights eating microwave popcorn or Ramen noodles. I have heard KFC come out of some staff members mouths. But I hope the world will remember how good it feels to eat something good, really good. So we can always have some one to take care of.